FBR REPORT: Burma Army Attacking and Displacing over 1,000 Karen People
Karen State, Burma
5 June 2008

Dear Friends,

The Burma Army has just attacked the village of Te Mu Der, Papun District, Northern Karen State. Burma. Over 1,000 people from this village and the surrounding villages fled. The rains have started and for the families in hiding it is miserable. Three villages were displaced; Te Mu Der, Tha Kaw To Baw, and Tha Da Der.

On 4 June between 7am – 8 am, Burma Army battalion IB 240 attacked, drove the people out of the village, burned rice barns, looted homes, badly damaged the church and destroyed farms in Te Mu Der village in Papun District. Te Mu Der is located at N18 25 05 E 097 17 15, just south of the Kyauk Kyi- Hsaw Hta road in north central Papun district. Villagers ran with what they could carry and the Burma Army looted what they left behind. The Burma Army fired mortars into the village and one round hit the church, damaging the roof. They then entered the village and at the church destroyed one piano, 2 amplifiers, two speakers and stole one guitar. They went through the village, looting and destroying property and fences. The troops burned down three rice barns with over 300 tins of paddy rice belonging to Saw Kyaw Soe 45 yrs, Saw Kwe Lay Moo, 43 yrs and Saw Gwey Hu, 55 yrs. The troops have now pulled back. Two FBR teams are in the area providing assistance. This new attack follows other attacks outlined in last weeks report from this northern area. Please see: “Burma Army Attacks Villages in Eastern Burma as they Obstruct Relief to Cyclone Victims“, at www.freeburmarangers.org.

We are now sending more medicine, plastic tarps to shelter the families in hiding, food support and blankets.

At this same time the Burma Army is also attacking Karenni villages three days walk north of Te Mu Der (the attacked Karen village described above).

On 4 June, Burma Army battalions LIB 429 and LIB 531, both under the command of Myo Win Hlaine entered Bwa Doh village. They captured a villager, Saw Ko Blu, 33 yrs old. They beat him until his head split open and shot at another villager who ran away. The Burma Army units then proceeded to Kwa Kee as another battalion, LIB 530 arrived at Kay Kaw village one and a half days walk northwest of Kwa Kee..

Thank you and God bless you,

Free Burma Rangers